Thursday, June 5, 2008

Making Butter

I've been getting fresh milk from some friends, with cream still on the top and so I attempted to make homemade butter with it yesterday. I did it in my Kitchen Aid mixer instead of shaking it in a jar (oh man, my arms would have killed me!)


The mixer whipping the cream into foamy stuff.
I made a mistake here and used cold cream straight from the fridge, instead of letting it set out on the counter to warm to room temp. (as I found out later!)


The directions told me to whip the cream for 30 minutes. 30 minutes came and went, and then another 30 minutes went by .... nothing was happening except the foam! So I went on the internet and googled my problem and found out that the cream should be warm! I went back downstairs and set the bowl of foam in warm water to speed up the warming process, then after awhile put it back on the mixer.


In just a few minutes, it started looking a little lumpy - good sign, right?!

YES!! Butter!!!


Then I had to pour out the butermilk (the back bowl) from the butter and wash the butter in cold water until the water was clear.


After LOTS of washing, the water was finally clear!


And there is my butter! mmmmmm!!!!


Packaged up and ready to go in the freezer! :)

2 comments:

Sjo said...

That's cool! I would love to have "real" milk for Phi to drink as well as to have the cream for goodies!! Very cool to be able to make your own butter!

Mary said...

I've done that before, too. It was kind of fun, but it didn't taste as good to me as butter from the store. We used to get good raw milk, but we can't get it anymore, unfortunately.