Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Butternut Squash and Cannellini Soup


I've never been a fan of squash, or yams, or sweet potatoes - just ask my mom! ;) But last week I decided to make a go of it and use it in a recipe. My goal was to disguise it as cleverly as possible. :) So this post is dedicated to you, Mom! ;)

I finally found a recipe for Butternut Squash and Cannellini Soup with Bacon that I thought looked promising. I got the recipe from here but changed it up a bit to the way I wanted.
Here's my version:

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CANNELLINI SOUP with BACON
6 thick bacon slices, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups low-salt chicken broth
4 cups 3/4-inch cubes roasted, peeled butternut squash (from one 1 3/4-pound squash)
3 15-ounce cans cannellini (white kidney beans), undrained (you can find these beans at Trader Joes)
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, drained (Italian-style is a good option)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Savory - just eyeball it
Cumin - eyeball it
Curry - same as above. :)
Chives for garnish

Split and roast whole squash at 375 for about 45 min.
Meanwhile, saute bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Add chopped onion and garlic to drippings in pot; sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth; bring to boil. Stir in butternut squash, 1 can cannellini with liquid, drained tomatoes, and fresh rosemary. Cover and simmer until butternut squash is tender and flavors blend, about 15 minutes. Puree entire soup with immersible hand blender. Add 2 cans cannellini beans. Cook until beans are thoroughly warmed. Season soup with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped bacon and chives. Enjoy - it's delicious! :)

I gave Emily some of this soup and made her try to guess what was in it (she's not a fan of squash, either). I don't remember all of her guesses, but I know not one of them was squash....and she liked it! Mission accomplished!

Butternut squash muffins are also amazing, too! Especially recipes with lots of spices! Yum!

4 comments:

NaomiG said...

Yum... I love squash. And I have like 40 cans of cannellini beans from TJs on my canned bean shelf. Yum. Ok, maybe only 6.

Debbie said...

Mmm! Looks fabulous! :)
Now I'm hungry...for butternut squash muffins. ;) Hey, its breakfast time now...soup doesn't sound that appealing just yet. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that recipe! I'll try it.

Susan said...

That does sound good! I'll have to try it! Butternut squash soup is so perfect for this time of year, too.